Planning a family getaway to Paris and wondering what fun activities you can enjoy with the kids?
Boasting a range of iconic theme parks, a plethora of museums that delight children, numerous parks, and diverse activities, Paris is brimming with attractions that are sure to charm the entire family!
Let’s dive in!
📚 Contents 📚
Family-Friendly Museums in Paris
Paris’s Amusement Parks
Scenic Seine River Cruise on a Bateau-Mouche
Explore Paris Uniquely: Segway, Bike, Bus Tours…
Family-Friendly Treasure Hunt Adventure
For Animal Enthusiasts
For the Sports Aficionados
For Food Lovers
Top Parks and Gardens for Outdoor Fun and Relaxation
The Jardin des Plantes: Menagerie, Museum of Natural History, Great Gallery of Evolution
Take a ride on the Montmartre little train
Experience the breathtaking views from the top of the Eiffel Tower
Guided tours tailored for children
Family-friendly shows and performances
Dive into virtual reality adventures
Watercolor painting class in Montmartre
Discover street art in Paris
Soar above the city aboard the Generali Balloon
💡 The Captain’s tips 💡
🧐 Keen to delve into Paris’ rich history? Captain Ulysses suggests checking out this complimentary guided tour of the city. You decide how much to tip the guide!
💤 Searching for the perfect stay in Paris? Take a peek at Captain’s picks for the best places to stay: Where to stay in Paris? Tips & Recommendations.
Thought your kids would never be keen on a museum trip? Think again! Captain Ulysses has unearthed a selection of fun, interactive , and quirky museums that are sure to be a hit with the entire family!
The City of Science and Industry
Nestled in Parc de la Villette, this is Europe’s premier science museum, boasting a wealth of engaging and interactive exhibits. Dive into diverse topics like space exploration, mathematics, acoustics, and optics. Tailored for kids aged 2 to 12, the City of Children section is packed with hands-on activities that make learning a blast!
👉 Find out more: Get your tickets for the City of Science and Industry.
The Grévin Museum
Need an introduction to the iconic Grévin Museum? This renowned wax museum is home to lifelike figures of stars and historical icons, from Kylian Mbappé and Katy Perry to Paw Patrol and Jean-Paul Gaultier, even King Charles III. It’s a delightful and quirky destination sure to captivate both kids and adults.
👉 Find out more: tickets for the Grévin Museum.
The Chocolate Museum
Calling all chocolate lovers! Dive into a sweet adventure at the Chocolate Museum, where families can explore the rich history, crafting, and enjoyment of chocolate. Don’t miss the chance to participate in delightful chocolate-making workshops.
Highly recommended by the Captain!
👉 Discover more: tickets to the Chocolate Museum.
The Paradox Museum
Are you up for a challenge to your senses? The Paradox Museum offers a unique journey through a world of optical illusions and visual paradoxes. This one-of-a-kind, engaging, and interactive experience is guaranteed to spark the curiosity and imagination of both kids and adults alike!
👉 Discover more: Get your tickets to the Paradox Museum.
The Museum of Magic
Nestled in the enchanting Marais district – a must-visit in its own right – the Museum of Magic offers a captivating journey into the enigmatic realm of magic and illusion. Expect to encounter a trove of ancient magical artifacts, enthralling magic performances, and the closely guarded secrets of magicians!
👉 Find out more: Visit the official Museum of Magic website
The Fairground Arts Museum
Set in the vibrant Bercy neighborhood, this museum, housed in former wine cellars, offers a unique glimpse into the world of carnival shows and street theater. From vintage carousels and games to fascinating automata, it’s an extraordinary and surprising journey that’s sure to captivate the entire family!
👉 Discover more: Visit the official Fairground Arts Museum website.
Spiking Adrenaline in Parisian Amusement Parks
What if you sprinkled your Parisian stay with a dash of adventure? The Paris region can proudly boast of hosting several beautiful amusement parks – including the must-visit Disneyland Paris – that will delight the whole family! So, are you ready to get your adrenaline pumping?
In the world of amusement parks, Disneyland Paris reigns supreme, of course! Located approximately thirty kilometers to the east of the capital city, Disneyland Paris actually consists of two distinct theme parks: Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios Park.
Disneyland Park, with its iconic Sleeping Beauty Castle, boasts legendary attractions such as “It’s a Small World,” “Pirates of the Caribbean,” and “Space Mountain.”
On the other hand, Walt Disney Studios Park offers attractions inspired by Disney, Pixar, and MARVEL films.
Both parks also feature parades, shows, and opportunities to meet beloved Disney characters!
The Jardin d’Acclimatation
Situated in the Bois de Boulogne, in the 16th arrondissement of Paris, the Jardin d’Acclimatation is a recently revamped historical amusement park. What’s in store? Classic rides, roller coasters, modern attractions, as well as zip-lining, an adventurous obstacle course, and delightful pony rides!
👉 Find out more: Unlimited 1-day pass for the Jardin d’Acclimatation
Inspired by the iconic Astérix comic books, Astérix Park sets up camp 35 kilometers north of Paris. With roller coasters, water attractions, live shows, and reconstructions of Gaulish villages, this French amusement park is sure to captivate the whole family. Are you a thrill-seeker? Head to the “OzIris,” “Tonnerre de Zeus,” and “Goudurix” attractions.
Taking a Seine River Cruise on a Bateau-Mouche
A must-do for any visitor to Paris, a Seine River cruise on a Bateau-Mouche is the ultimate family activity!
From the Bateau-Mouche, you’ll enjoy breathtaking views of the iconic landmarks lining the Seine: the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Musée d’Orsay, and the Alexandre III Bridge. Audio commentary provides historical anecdotes and cultural insights throughout the cruise.
👉 Learn more: One-Hour Seine River Cruise
Exploring Paris Differently: Segway, Bike, Bus, and More
What if you added a touch of originality to your family trip to Paris? There’s nothing like an unconventional city tour to reenergize kids who might be feeling a bit tired.
Here are some ideas that might captivate your children:
- Segway: Perfect for exploring Paris without getting tired, in a unique way -> Segway tour to discover the city’s highlights
- Hop-on Hop-off panoramic bus: Ideal for hopping from monument to monument and discovering the French capital at your own pace -> Tickets for hop-on hop-off panoramic bus
- Biking: Great if your kids have lots of energy to burn -> Guided bike tour OR
- electric bike tour
- Amphibious bus (a bus that transforms into a boat for a Seine River cruise): Perfect for a truly unique and unusual experience -> Discovering the city and the Seine on an amphibious bus
Family Treasure Hunt in Paris
How about adding a touch of mystery and adventure to your Parisian getaway? Engaging your children in exploring the city through an interactive treasure hunt is a fantastic idea!
You’ll decipher puzzles and follow clues through the historic streets of the capital, offering a fun and unconventional way to discover the city while delving into its rich history and creating cherished bonding moments!
What’s more, these self-guided treasure hunts come at an incredibly affordable price!
👉 Learn more: Self-guided treasure hunt in Montmartre | Self-guided treasure hunt at Paris’s iconic locations | Self-guided treasure hunt in the Marais district | (slightly higher cost) Treasure hunt at the Louvre for families
For Animal Enthusiasts
Are your kids passionate about animals? Whether it’s in aquatic environments, on solid ground, or in a more untamed setting, Paris offers a variety of unforgettable places that are bound to leave a lasting impression!
Located within the Trocadéro Gardens, just a stone’s throw away from the Eiffel Tower, the Paris Aquarium houses over 10,000 specimens representing around 500 different species. What can you expect? Sharks, jellyfish, tropical fish, and even the chance for visitors to interact with certain animals in the touch pool. The aquarium also hosts a range of shows and workshops designed especially for kids.
👉 Learn more: Tickets for the Paris Aquarium
The Vincennes Zoo (Parc Zoologique de Paris)
Completely modernized in the 2010s, the Vincennes Zoo stands out as one of Europe’s most contemporary zoological parks today. Situated in the Bois de Vincennes, right on the outskirts of Paris, the zoo is divided into 5 biozones that faithfully recreate various ecosystems, offering animals an environment that closely resembles their natural habitats.
The Parc Zoologique de Paris is home to approximately 2,500 inhabitants from over 230 different species, including lions, giraffes, penguins, and monkeys!
👉 Learn more: Tickets for the Parc Zoologique de Paris / Vincennes Zoo
Thoiry Safari Park
Located just north of Paris, about an hour’s drive away, Thoiry Safari Park offers a genuine adventure far from the hustle and bustle of the city. Visitors can drive through the wildlife reserve, where animals like zebras, elephants, bears, and rhinoceroses live freely.
The park also includes a more conventional zoo with exotic species, as well as a variety of educational activities and play areas that will provide great enjoyment for kids.
👉 Learn more: Safari at Thoiry Park departing from Paris
For Food Enthusiasts
Calling all food enthusiasts: Paris isn’t just for sightseeing; it’s also a city to savor! Captain Ulysse has curated some activities that are sure to delight lovers of good food of all ages!
How about getting the whole family involved in a culinary workshop? Roll up your sleeves and put on your aprons!
- Macarons: Explore the tips and tricks of a professional pastry chef to learn the art of making this iconic French delicacy! -> Macaron class at Galeries Lafayette
- Croissants: Elevate your family’s breakfasts by mastering the art of crafting your very own croissants! -> Croissant-making class with a chef
- Chocolates: Are you passionate about chocolate? What if a master chocolatier revealed the secrets behind creating these little delights? -> Chocolate-making workshop
- Cream Puffs & Chocolate Éclairs: If you lean towards cream puffs and chocolate éclairs, Captain Ulysse has uncovered the perfect workshop for you! -> Cream puff and chocolate éclair class
👉 Learn more: Cooking workshops in Paris
Gourmet Explorations in Paris with the Family
If you’d rather skip the cooking and dive straight into tasting, Captain Ulysse suggests embarking on a culinary tour of the city. You can either craft your own gastronomic adventure by planning a delicious route through the city streets or opt for an organized tour.
👉 Learn more: Gastronomic tour in Saint-Germain-des-Prés
Looking for a fun and unique family activity? How about discovering the inner workings of a bakery? t’s an opportunity to learn how to make the perfect baguette and uncover the tips and secrets of bakers.
Plus, breakfast is included!
👉 Learn more: Explore the Secrets of a Bakery
For Sports Fans
Is your family passionate about sports? Take advantage of your family trip to Paris to explore the behind-the-scenes areas of two iconic stadiums: the Stade de France and the Roland-Garros stadium!
Exploring the Inner Workings of the Stade de France
Situated in Saint-Denis, this massive stadium – the largest in France – has hosted major sporting events such as the World Cup and the European Football Championship. What’s in store during the tour? You’ll get to see the locker rooms, private suites, and the tunnel that players use to enter the field!
The tour also grants you access to a museum where you can discover artifacts and memorabilia linked to the legendary history of the Stade de France.
👉 Learn more: Stade de France Behind-the-Scenes Tour
Explore Roland-Garros Stadium
Attention, tennis fans! Make your way to the iconic Roland-Garros Stadium! Renowned for hosting one of the Grand Slam tournaments, this legendary venue offers guided tours that take you behind the scenes of Roland-Garros. It’s an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of tennis legends who have played on this court!
👉 Learn more: Roland-Garros Stadium Tour
Enjoy Fresh Air in Paris Parks and Gardens
Looking for a breath of fresh air after exploring the city from end to end? Parisian parks provide the perfect playground for your family to unwind, far from the hustle and bustle!
- The Tuileries Gardens: Nestled between the Louvre and Place de la Concorde, the Tuileries Gardens feature wide pathways, refreshing fountains, and various sculptures. Here, you’ll also find two of Captain Ulysse’s favorite museums in Paris: the Musée de l’Orangerie (compact and family-friendly) and the Musée du Jeu de Paume (hosting temporary photography exhibitions).
- The Luxembourg Gardens: Located in the 6th arrondissement, not far from the Panthéon, this iconic garden boasts a central basin surrounded by scattered chairs and children’s playgrounds.
- The Parc des Buttes-Chaumont: Situated in the 19th arrondissement, this park is renowned for its rolling landscapes, cliffs, lake, and rocky island crowned by the Temple of Sybil. It’s a perfect spot for a picturesque family stroll and a small picnic!
- The Parc de la Villette: Also in the 19th arrondissement (on the more contemporary side of the city), Parc de la Villette is home to the Cité des Sciences et de l’Industrie and the Géode, along with play areas.
- Other noteworthy parks in Paris include the Bois de Boulogne (housing the Jardin d’Acclimatation), the Bois de Vincennes (home to the Vincennes Zoo), Parc Montsouris, Parc Monceau, and Parc de Belleville.
Explore Paris’s Jardin des Plantes: Menagerie, Grande Galerie de l’Évolution..
Let’s journey to Paris’s 5th arrondissement! Founded in the 17th century, the Jardin des Plantes is a historic botanical garden that today hosts several family-friendly tourist attractions.
It’s also the perfect spot to take a short break away from the city’s hustle and bustle!
The Jardin des Plantes Menagerie
This is one of the world’s oldest zoos. The Jardin des Plantes Menagerie houses approximately 1,200 animals, including red pandas, orangutans, tortoises, crocodiles, and a multitude of snakes.
The Grand Gallery of Evolution
Located within a beautifully renovated historic monument, the Grand Gallery of Evolution invites visitors of all ages to explore the evolution of the living world across the ages, akin to a life-sized Noah’s Ark. What’s in store? Fossils, skeletons of massive marine mammals, virtual reality experiences… In essence, a captivating journey to discover the history of our planet’s fauna and flora.
The Grand Gallery also features a specially designed space for the youngest visitors: the Children’s Gallery.
👉 Learn more: Skip-the-line tickets for the Grand Gallery of Evolution
The Grand Greenhouses of the Jardin des Plantes
How about traveling to the ends of the Earth without ever leaving Paris? From humid tropical rainforests to arid deserts, the Grand Greenhouses of the Jardin des Plantes recreate a variety of exotic and distant ecosystems that are just waiting to be explored.
In a nutshell, it’s a visit that’s not only refreshing and entertaining but also truly immersive!
Note: The Jardin des Plantes also houses the Museum of Natural History, but this may be less suitable for children.
Jump Aboard the Montmartre Little Train
What’s better than taking a ride on a little train to delight the little ones? The Montmartre Little Train offers families a enchanting journey through the charming streets of the renowned neighborhood in the capital. The highlights include exploring the iconic places in the vicinity, such as Place du Tertre, the Sacré-Cœur, and even the Montmartre vineyards.
Throughout the trip, audio commentary (available in multiple languages) shares fascinating anecdotes and narrates the history of this artistic hub.
Climbing to the Top of the Eiffel Tower (+ Carousel)
Alright, Captain Ulysse admits it’s not the most original idea, but ascending to the summit of the Eiffel Tower is an absolute must when you’re exploring Paris with your family! From the peak of the iconic “Iron Lady,” you’ll be treated to an absolutely breathtaking view of the capital.
The journey to the top is an adventure in itself! However, if your little ones aren’t quite up for climbing the stairs, you can always take the elevator.
For those traveling with very young children, don’t miss the Eiffel Tower Carousel: a classic merry-go-round featuring beautiful antique wooden horses, all set against the backdrop of the Iron Lady.
Family-Friendly Guided Tours in Paris
Would you like to take a guided tour of the city but are concerned that it might not be enjoyable for everyone in your family, especially the kids? Captain Ulysse has discovered some tours that should appeal to the entire family:
- Kids’ Bus Tour: A panoramic bus tour designed specifically for families.
- Private Louvre Museum Tour for Kids: A guided tour of the Louvre Museum specially tailored for children up to 15 years old.
- Private Family Tours: A fun and informative tour that covers history, culture, and gastronomy.
- Montmartre Family Tour: A guided tour of the Montmartre neighborhood designed with families in mind.
- Discovering Paris Legends & Mysteries Tour: For older kids who love a bit of excitement, a tour that explores the darker and mysterious side of the city.
Enjoy a Family Show
Want to add some excitement to your family trip to Paris? How about making the most of your Parisian adventure by attending a show? It’s a cultural experience that will surely delight your children!
- “Aura” Sound and Light Show at Les Invalides: A mesmerizing combination of sound and light within the heart of Les Invalides’ Dome, “Aura” takes visitors on a sensory journey to explore the origins and architecture of this historically significant monument.
- Family-Friendly Show “My first cabaret”: Specially tailored for kids, this show offers a perfect introduction to the world of Parisian cabaret. Expect dance, music, and artistic performances in the iconic setting of the Paradis Latin.
- “The Magical World of Casse-Noisette” Show: A unique adaptation of the famous ballet Casse-Noisette suitable for the whole family, including the little ones, blending music, dance, and visual theater.
Immerse Yourself in Virtual Reality
These unique activities in virtual reality offer viewers a spectacular way to experience the French capital (and more!). It’s an unforgettable experience that will captivate the entire family!
- Virtual Tour of Notre-Dame: While Notre-Dame is currently closed to the public for restoration, virtual reality still allows visitors passing through Paris to admire this legendary Gothic masterpiece. It’s an engaging interactive tour that delves into the history and architecture of the cathedral.
- Virtual Flight Over Paris: Step into a flight simulator and take off to explore the city from a bird’s-eye view!
- Virtual Flight Over France: Soar above France’s most iconic landmarks in a flight simulator! Experience Mont-Saint-Michel, Mont-Blanc, Gordes, Château d’Azay-Le-Rideau, and even Pont du Gard.
- Explore Egypt in Virtual Reality: Why not add a dash of exoticism to your Parisian adventure? Don a virtual reality headset and embark on a journey to uncover the treasures of ancient Egypt!
Enjoy a Family Watercolor Workshop in Montmartre
While you’re in the iconic artist’s quarter, why not inspire your children’s artistic side? This small-group workshop provides the perfect opportunity to learn how to “sketch” like a genuine Parisian artist with the guidance of a professional.
It’s a chance to create lasting family memories and bring back a unique keepsake from your trip!
👉 Learn More: Watercolor Workshop in a Typical Montmartre Café
Family Photo Session in Paris
Do you want to preserve unforgettable memories of your trip to Paris? Accompanied by a professional photographer, you can have family photos taken at both iconic and lesser-known spots throughout the city.
The photographer will ensure you feel at ease, capturing natural and spontaneous moments against the backdrop of Paris’s picturesque settings.
Plus, there are budget-friendly options available!
👉 Learn More: Private Photoshoot in Paris
Explore the World of Parisian Street Art
Why not uncover a different facet of the capital city? Far from the confines of museums, art also thrives on the streets of Paris. Yes, while the city is renowned for masterpieces like Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa and Monet’s Water Lilies, Paris boasts a dynamic street art scene. This is an opportunity to shift gears and introduce your family to art from a fresh perspective.
Plus, there are workshops available for you to try your hand at street art, offering a fun and offbeat family activity!
Rise Above with the Ballon de Paris Generali
Soar high in the sky on a hot air balloon to explore the city from a completely fresh viewpoint! The balloon reaches an altitude of 150 meters, offering a truly breathtaking view of the capital.
An unforgettable adventure that will surely thrill the whole family!
👉 Learn More: Ticket for the Ballon de Paris Generali
With all these choices, you’ll have plenty to keep your family entertained throughout your entire Parisian adventure. And for more advice and suggestions, feel free to take a look at Captain Ulysse’s in-depth articles on Exploring Paris.
👉 Skip the lines in Paris: book your tickets and tours in advance!
👉Discover the ideal place to stay in Paris!
👉 Looking for advice and recommendations? Here are all of Captain Ulysses’ suggestions!
⛵ Cruises: Seine River Cruises
🎫 Citypass: Paris Museum Pass
🚐 Transfers: Transfer to/from your hotel
✈️ Flights, Trains & Buses: Skyscanner